The construction of the Welland Canal opened new opportunities and markets for shipbuilders. The Shickluna shipyard property was first settled by Russell Armington in 1828, until his death in 1837. Lewis Shickluna, a Maltese immigrant, won the bid for the yard, and went on to both build and repair ships until his death in 1880.
Shickluna is credited with building over 150 ships and infusing nearly $200 million dollars into the Canadian economy. His son Joseph, maintained the yard for 10 years after Louis' death, and continued building and repairing ships which then conformed to the dimensions of the third Welland Canal. Joseph closed his books for the last time in 1890, leasing the premises to the Shickluna’s former yard foreman Patrick Dixon and his eldest son Harry.
In 1892, the property was then leased to the St. Catharines Box and Basket Company, who then abandoned the site for a final time in 1901. Descendants of Shickluna property sold the site to the City of St. Catharines, and the ship basin was filled in 1955. The site has since served as a city snow dump site and fire training station.